Edward G. Sponzilli, a member of the firm, is a New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Civil Trial Attorney with 40 years experience in complex corporate and commercial litigation.
He has litigated cases in many different jurisdictions including employment litigation matters relating to restrictive covenant, wrongful termination, CEPA, employment discrimination and sexual harassment. He has defended products liability, toxic tort, and professional malpractice claims. Additionally, Ed has handled matters involving franchise practices, intellectual property, health care, estate, real estate, construction, antitrust, commodities, civil RICO, Fair Credit Reporting Act, consumer fraud, shareholder disputes, civil rights, constitutional law, sports law, personal injury, insurance and reinsurance coverage matters, dram shop, alcohol, defamation, business tort, criminal and education law matters.
Ed has litigated construction matters in arbitrations before federal and state courts. For over 30 years, he has represented a major mechanical contracting company with offices in New Jersey and New York. He represents building contractors, developers, general contractors, contract managers and owners.
Ed is a 2008 recipient of the Professionalism Award and a 1999 recipient of the New Jersey Supreme Court’s Fund for Client Protection’s “Client Protection” Award. He was honored for his outstanding service on behalf of the public and the Bar of New Jersey for his role as Chancery Court-appointed Receiver in the case of Montano v. Cohen & Cohen.
Ed is a past president of the C. Willard Heckel Inn of Court and the Rutgers—Newark Law School Alumni Association, and a Trustee of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey. He has been on the faculty of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy for fifteen years and, for the past seven years, has been one of only two non-government faculty members in the New Jersey Attorney General’s Trial Advocacy Institute. Ed is currently a member of the New York City American Inn of Court. He has served as a federal arbitrator and state court certified mediator.
Ed was a Judicial Law Clerk for The Honorable James A. Coolahan, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey (D.N.J.) from 1975-77. During his two-year clerkship, Judge Coolahan had a temporary assignment to the Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Ed has also been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America and New Jersey Super Lawyers, as well as Marquis’ Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in America.
Ed is affiliated with the New Jersey Municipal Prosecutors Association, New York City Inn of Court and New Jersey Defense Association.
- “If You Think Your Company is Beyond the Reach of the NLRB Because You Have a Non-Union Workforce, Think Again,” Labor & Employment Law Alert, October 2000
- Speaker, “15th Annual Stephen D. Doyle Criminal Justice Symposium,” Saint Peter’s University, April 16, 2015
- Moderator, “Taking and Defending Effective Depositions,” Lorman Seminars, October 13, 2011
- Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys to Speak at the NJSBA Annual Meeting and Convention, May 19-21, 2010
- Charitable Immunity in New Jersey: A Look at the Doctrine’s Impact on Recent Litigation
- “Hot Topics for Hot Litigators,” Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting and Convention, Atlantic City, New Jersey, May 21, 2008
- “Trial Advocacy,” New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, Division of Criminal Justice, Hughes Justice Complex, Trenton, December 17, 2007
- “How to Avoid Sexual Harassment Claims in the Workplace: What Every Employer Needs to Know,” Jersey Dental Association, Annual Convention, June 9, 2006
- “Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law 2006,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Seminar, June 1, 2006, Bridgewater, NJ
- “Hot Tips for Hot Litigators,” New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, May 18, 2006
- “Legal Issues Involved in Student Discipline,” Rutgers Office of Judicial Affairs, March 8,