Jeffrey S. Stewart, a Member of the firm, focuses his practice on labor and employment law.
Jeff represents management and has tried cases before the National Labor Relations Board and the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board. He has handled numerous unfair labor practice charges, unit clarification hearings, and grievance arbitrations. He counsels employers in union avoidance and has helped his clients successfully defeat union representation elections. Jeff also serves as lead negotiator during collective bargaining and advises his clients on all aspects of strikes, lockouts, and mass picketing. In addition to his private-sector clients, Jeff represents municipalities with respect to their labor unions. He also counsels clients about non-compete agreements, sexual harassment investigations, FLSA compliance, unemployment compensation, and drafting employment policies and handbooks.
Jeff has taught numerous seminars on labor and employment law in Lehigh Valley, as well as Labor & Employment Law courses for DeSales University and Moravian College. He is a member of the board of directors of the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the Society of Human Resource Management and chair of its Legislative Committee.
In addition to his labor law experience, Jeff has handled church mergers, gaining experience in the area, both as an attorney and as a church leader. He has guided churches through many sensitive areas, including identifying the need to merge, combining church leaderships, dealing with each congregation’s unique attachment to its history, and, finally, the coming together of the two congregations. Jeff is actively involved in his church, serving as the president of its council multiple times and as co-chair of its building committee.
He has been selected for inclusion in the Employment and Labor section of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers—Rising Stars Edition. Only 2.5% of Pennsylvania attorneys are given this distinction. He was honored in 2013 as one of the Forty Under 40 in Lehigh Valley Business, which recognizes young professionals who exhibit talent and promise and have a well-documented track record of achievements in business.
- FLSA takes one step closer to changing “white-collar” exemptions
- Allentown City Council will review Pawlowski’s ‘ban the box’ hiring proposal
- Governor Wolf Announces Support for Higher Minimum Wage
- Pennsylvania Employers Prepare for 2015
- Department Of Labor Anticipates Increasing The Number Of White-Collar Employees Entitled To Overtime Pay In 2015
- EEOC Wants Employers to “Reboot” Harassment Prevention
- NLRB’s Quickie Election Rule Lives Up to its Name
- At least we don’t live in Texas
- Smaller Employers Targeted by Unions More Than Ever
- Might Paid Family Leave Become National Reality?
- Interviewed, “Mayor wants criminal info off job applications,” WFMZ, March 18, 2015
- “Employer Beware: The Art of Conducting an Employment Interview,” Lehigh Valley Woman, February/March 2013
- “PA Smokers Vulnerable to Discrimination,” Eastern Pennsylvania Business Journal, April 19, 2010
- “The Independent Contractor Crackdown,” Tallman Hudders & Sorrentino Labor & Employment Law Alert, April 2010
- “Third Circuit Determines That McDonnell Douglas Burden-Shifting Framework Still Applies To Age Discrimination Claims,” Tallman Hudders & Sorrentino Labor & Employment Law Alert, February 2010
- “Current Legal Issues in the US Workplace,” DeSales University, April 24, 2017
- “2013-2014 Labor & Employment Law Legal Update,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, September 24, 2014
- “Retaliation: The Most Dangerous Claim Facing Employers,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, May 21, 2014
- “Dealing with Problem Employees,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, April 2, 2014
- “Employment Law Update in Pennsylvania,” Lorman Education Services, Allentown, PA, March 19, 2014
- “Employment Law on Television and in the Movies,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, November 13, 2013
- “The Impact of the National Labor Relations Board on Non-Union Employers,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, October 16, 2013
- “2012-2013 Labor and Employment Law Legal Update,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, September 18, 2013
- “Navigating the Hiring Process,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, June 19, 2013
- “How to Properly Conduct a Workplace Investigation,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, May 22, 2013
- “Understanding Workplace Violence and Bullying,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, April 17, 2013
- “Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation: What Do We Do?”, Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, June 20, 2012
- “FMLA Pitfalls,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, May 30, 2012
- “Navigating the ADA’s Accommodation Requests,” Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, April 25, 2012
- Human Resources 2011 Lunch & Learn Series: Recent Labor and Employment Law Developments
- Attorneys Present “Employment Law from A to Z in Pennsylvania”
- Tallman Hudders & Sorrentino Labor & Employment Attorneys to Present at Medical Conference
2013 Forty Under 40