The Franchise Law Group of Norris McLaughlin & Marcus draws on the talents of lawyers from several departments to represent franchisees and distribution companies in a wide range of transactional, regulatory and litigation matters. Our Group focuses on the needs of franchisees to deliver complete solutions, integrating transactional creativity with regulatory experience, intellectual property protection and litigation prosecution and management. In addition, by keeping abreast of both federal and state regulations of franchises, we are prepared to assist our clients in an ever-changing business environment.
Our litigators have been on the forefront of leading franchise law cases in the state of New Jersey, and our regulatory and compliance attorneys continue to represent franchisees and distributors, with particular emphasis on the fast food, hospitality, personal services and consumer products industries.
Throughout the years, Norris McLaughlin lawyers have engaged in a wide variety of franchise and distribution system-related matters including:
Franchise Corporate and Transactional Representation
- Entity formation
- Franchise offering review, evaluation and negotiation
- Franchise documentation
- Assisting in negotiation, transfer or the renegotiation of an existing franchise
- Representing either the buyer or seller of a franchise in a purchase and sale transaction
- Assisting franchisees in acquiring locations either through real estate lease or purchase
Our franchise attorneys represent franchisees in general franchise litigation and litigation under industry-specific statutes. Dealer termination cases frequently involve franchise law or business opportunity laws, and our litigators are well equipped to prosecute and defend such cases in an assertive and cost-effective manner. We are also practical and encourage clients to explore methods of alternative dispute resolution. Our experience includes:
- Defending the rights of franchise owners against oppressive franchisor tactics
- Defending franchisees in threatened or actual termination situations
- Trademark infringement matters
- Commercial disputes
- Enforcement of covenants not to compete
- Other litigation matters including systems standards, antitrust, products liability, and labor and employment matters.
Legislative Review and Advocacy
We represent franchisees and distribution companies before legislative and regulatory bodies in matters involving the enactment of and compliance with statutes and regulations at the federal and state levels.