Richard A. Norris
direct dial: (908) 252-4286
PDF of Biography
Areas of Practice
- Matrimonial & Family Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Professional Liability & Malpractice
- Criminal–White Collar
- Appellate Practice
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Harvard Law School
- LL.B., 1952
- Lehigh University
- B.S., 1949
- American Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Litigation Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Executive Committee of the Family Law Section
- Federal Bar Association of New Jersey
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- New Jersey Bankers and Lawyers Conference Committee
- Somerset County Bar Association
- Former President
- Joseph Halpern Inn of Court
- Central Jersey Family Law Inn of Court
- Former President
- Matrimonial Lawyers Alliance
- Thirty-Two Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers
- Twenty-Seven Norris McLaughlin Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
- “Write It Right: From A to Z,” New Jersey Law Journal, October 15, 2007
- "The Client in Mid-Life Crisis: What are your Ethical Responsibilities? Is there a Bright Line Between Lawyer and Counselor?," Law and the Libido, New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, The Metropolitan Club, New York City, September 16, 2006
Richard A. Norris, a member of the firm, concentrates his practice on litigation with an emphasis on family law, criminal, and professional liability and malpractice matters. He now devotes most of his practice to arbitrations and mediations.
Dick has over fifty years experience as a trial lawyer. He has a vast amount of experience in all facets of matrimonial law including divorce litigation, arbitration and mediation, custody and parenting issues, visitation rights, alimony and child support, pre-nuptial and interspousal agreements, separation and property settlement agreements, adoption and guardianship advice, domestic violence and sexual abuse, and palimony. Dick has authored many articles on a wide variety of family law matters and frequently serves as a speaker and panelist at family law programs and seminars.
Dick is listed in the current issue of The Best Lawyers In America in the Family Law and Family Law Mediation sections and the New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Family Law section. In 2005, Dick received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Somerset County Bar Association and was the recipient of the 2003 Professional Lawyer of the Year Award given annually by the Somerset County Bar Association and the 2009 award for proffessionlaism by the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law.
Dick also has extensive experience defending professional liability, negligence and malpractice claims. He has represented attorneys in numerous malpractice actions and ethics complaints, and has served as an expert witness for both defendants and plaintiffs.
Dick has served as defense counsel in a wide variety of criminal matters, but is best known for his representation of clients charged with white-collar crimes.
Dick has also successfully represented 12 New Jersey commercial banks in obtaining their charters and has served as corporate counsel for several of them.