direct dial: (908) 252-4168
PDF of Biography
Areas of Practice
- New Jersey
- Rutgers School of Law - Newark
- J.D., 1999
- Montclair State University
- M.B.A., Business Administration, 2005
- M.A., Environmental Management, 1991
- Ramapo College of New Jersey
- B.S., Environmental Science
- B.S., Business Administration, 1984
- American Bar Association
- Christopher Stevenson Appointed Chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee of Local Business Partnership
- "New Jersey Legislature Seeks to Encourage Green Technology," New Jersey Lawyer, June 2011
- "What You and Your Business Need to Know About Solar Power in New Jersey," Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Bridgewater, New Jersey, April 18, 2012
- "Powering Green: An Overview of Issues in Generating Solar Power on Buildings and Sites," NM&M Client Seminar, Bridgewater, New Jersey, May 12, 2010
- "Leasing & Operating Green: An Overview of Issues in Leasing & Managing Green Commercial Real Estate Space," NM&M Client Seminar, April 13, 2010
- Top Environmental Issues Facing the Business Community, March 10, 2010, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- "An Overview of Issues in Designing and Building Green," Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Client Seminar, October 20, 2009
Christopher Stevenson, a member of the firm, focuses his practice on all aspects of environmental, land use, real estate and renewable energy law.
In the environmental law practice area, Chris represents clients in permitting, licensing, and enforcement matters before local, state, and federal agencies in areas such as land use, site remediation, brownfields redevelopment, solid and hazardous waste regulation, air and water pollution control, water supply, and occupational safety and health.
In the land use and real estate practice areas, Chris counsels clients in matters involving redevelopment; planning and zoning board approvals; property evaluations, purchases, and sales; leasing; financing; eminent domain; construction code issues; and right to farm. In connection with real estate matters, Chris has considerable experience in the purchase and sale of liquor licenses and regulatory matters pertaining to such licensing. He routinely represents private sector clients in negotiating a wide range of agreements and contracts with governmental entities, including those related to construction, redevelopment, and environmental services.
As a trained mediator and alternative dispute resolution practitioner, Chris has substantial experience in negotiating environmental, land use, and commercial matters. His experience in both the private and public sectors and his education background in business, law, policy, and science enable Chris to provide clients with an insightful and unique perspective on environmental, land use and real estate issues that is particularly helpful in dealing with such matters.
Chris is also the convener and coordinator of the Norris, McLaughlin & Marcus Green Building and Energy Industries Group, which is an interdisciplinary practice group that focuses on issues pertaining to renewable energy and green/sustainable building, development/redevelopment, and leasing. The group is comprised of attorneys from the firm's Construction, Environmental, Real Estate & Land Use, Public Utility, Taxation, and Business law practice areas.
Chris holds a J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law in Newark, an M.B.A. and a master's degree in Environmental Management from Montclair State University, bachelor's degrees in Environmental Science and Business Administration from Ramapo College, and completed course work towards a Ph.D. in Environmental Management. He is Chair of the Somerset County Business Partnership Legislative Affairs Committee, and Chair of the Advisory Council of the College of Science and Mathematics at Montclair State University.