John F. Lushis, Jr.
direct dial: (484) 765-2211
PDF of Biography
Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law
- J.D., 1980
- University of Notre Dame
- B.S.M.E., cum laude, 1977
- Lehigh Valley Legal Blog
- The Pennsylvania Tax Increment Financing Act: An Analysis
- Brownfields to gold mines? Possible - but be careful
- Don't Cry Over Spilled Oil
- Lead-Safe Practices - What Contractors Need to Know
- "Brownfields to gold mines? Possible - but be careful," Lehigh Valley Business, September 30, 2013
- "EPA Certification Requirements Regarding Lead Paint," Tallman Hudders & Sorrentino Environmental Alert, November 2010
- "Strategically Positioning Clients to Acquire or Sell a Business," Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, Allentown, PA, June 14, 2012
- John F. Lushis, Jr. to Speak on Recovery Zone Financing at LVEDC 2010 Business Financing Conference
- Beware! The "Other" Side of the LSRP Program, Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, P.A., Bridgewater, New Jersey, March 25, 2010
- "Build America Bonds and Recovery Zone Bonds," Client Seminar, December 1, 2009
John F. Lushis, Jr., a member of the firm, focuses his practice on environmental, real estate, and transaction law.
He provides counsel on an extensive diversity of transactions, including loan transactions, corporate restructurings, acquisitions and divestitures, leases, industrial development authority financings, and a wide array of commercial agreements. In particular, John has worked on multi-million-dollar loans and major tax-exempt financings for businesses and non-profits, as well as tax increment financing projects for major developers.
John serves as one of the firm's corporate environmental counsel, focusing on soil and groundwater issues and other environmental issues for various businesses.
He serves as solicitor for Lehigh County Industrial Development Authority, Northampton County New Jobs Corp, Northampton County General Purpose Authority, and Lehigh’s Economic Advancement Project.
John has represented some of the Lehigh Valley’s most prominent entities, including City of Allentown, Embassy Bank, First Niagara Bank, Health Network Labs, Lehigh County Industrial Development Authority, Lehigh University, LifePath, Melting Pot Restaurants, National Penn Bank, Northampton County Industrial Development Authority, and Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem, among others.
John served as in-house counsel for Bethlehem Steel for more than 20 years. He considers the culmination of the sale of Bethlehem Steel’s assets to the International Steel Group for $1.5 billion and his continuing involvement with the world’s largest private brownfield re-development project located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to be among his most memorable professional accomplishments. While at Bethlehem Steel, he directed the development and implementation of strategies to manage substantial assets and liabilities associated with more than 75 facilities and properties in Pennsylvania, across the U.S., and internationally. In his career, he has been involved in transactions and financings totaling well into the billions of dollars.