James H. Laskey
direct dial: (908) 252-4221
PDF of Biography
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Public Utility
- Solar Energy
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- E-Commerce & Information Technology
- New Jersey
- Yale Law School
- J.D., 1978
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.S., 1975, Phi Beta Kappa
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Section
- Public Utility and Transportation Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Public Utility Law Section
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Thirty-Two Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers
- Twenty-Nine Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys Named Among Best Lawyers
- Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Represents P&R Fasteners in 254.8 KW Solar Installation Deal
- Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Represents Dielmann-Haniel in $61 Million Deal
- Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Represent Atlantic Health in Acquisition of Newton Memorial Hospital
- Twenty-Five Norris McLaughlin & Marcus Attorneys Named Among Best Lawyers
- "Lost in the Cloud: Municipal Regulation of the Internet’s Backbone," New Jersey Lawyer, October 2012
- "New Jersey Legislature Seeks to Encourage Green Technology," New Jersey Lawyer, June 2011
- "Rules Governing Fax and E-mail Ads, Offer an Opt-out, or Prepare to Pay Out," The Corporate Counselor, February 2009
- "Employee Invention Agreements Can Prevent Workers From Using Your Intellectual Property to Bite into Company Profits," Commerce Magazine, March 2007
- "Utilities Beware: The Supreme Court Has You In Its Sights," Public Utilities Law Alert, December 2006
- "What You and Your Business Need to Know About Solar Power in New Jersey," Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, P.A., Bridgewater, New Jersey, April 18, 2012
- "Powering Green: An Overview of Issues in Generating Solar Power on Buildings and Sites," NM&M Client Seminar, Bridgewater, New Jersey, May 12, 2010
- "Lobbying for Lawyers: Update 2006," New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Mercer County College, September 12, 2006
James H. Laskey is a member of the firm and a past Chairman of our Business Law Group. His business practice is primarily transactional, including mergers, acquisitions, and licensing, supply and distribution arrangements especially for life sciences and technology companies. Within this area, he will often take the lead in the area of governmental approvals needed for corporate transactions, such as premerger notification under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, and other approvals needed for changes in control of regulated companies such as public utilities.
In addition to his business practice, Jim maintains a practice in administrative and government regulatory law, including public utility, antitrust, health care and telecommunications issues. Jim spends much of his time representing clients before state and federal administrative agencies, particularly the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. He is also a registered legislative agent for New Jersey legislative activities.
More recently, Jim has gained extensive experience negotiating agreements for solar energy installations, purchase power agreements, and agreements for the creation and sale of Solar Renewable Energy Credits, also known as SRECs.
Jim also regularly handles governmental permitting and zoning matters where the application involves specialized technologies and equipment.
He was Chair of the Public Utility Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association in 1997-1998, and is currently serving as Chairman of the Board for the Somerset County Business Partnership. Jim has appeared for many years in the Communications Law and Energy Law sections of The Best Lawyers in America. He also has been selected for inclusion on the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Utilities section every year since its inception in 2005.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim spent three years working for the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. Before that, he clerked for New Jersey Supreme Court Justice Sidney M. Schreiber.