Peter D. Hutcheon, a Member of the firm, practices primarily in the areas of business governance, commercial transactions, securities, banking, and finance.
Peter regularly counsels management of public and private companies and banking institutions on governance matters. He also has particular expertise with respect to indemnification and insurance issues affecting directors and officers. Peter has represented parties in major public-private partnership financings. He also represents clients seeking investment capital from private placements, venture capital, and private equity deals, as well as firm commitment underwritten offerings of securities. Peter is experienced with securities matters ranging from stock options to dividend reinvestment plans. He possesses extensive familiarity with bank regulatory matters and has worked on mergers and acquisitions in the banking industry. Peter has considerable experience in corporate and financing transactions and has represented both buyers and sellers in public and private corporate acquisition transactions in deals involving some $2 billion.
Peter is a long-time member of the American Bar Association’s Section on Business Law, Partnerships and Unincorporated Business Organizations Committee, and for 16 years was the editor of its newsletter, the PUBOGRAM. He is the 2005 recipient of the Martin I. Lubaroff Award for his lifelong service to this Committee. He was a director for 22 years, including two years as chair, of the New Jersey State Bar, Corporate & Business Law Section. He also chaired the State Bar’s Banking Law Section. He was chairman of the New Jersey Corporate & Business Law Study Commission from its inception in 1989 to 2002, where he provided reports and suggestions on business law developments to the New Jersey Legislature and the Governor. Peter chaired the New Jersey Securities Advisory Committee appointed by the Attorney General from 1995 to 2001 and has served as the American Bar Association’s Liaison to the New Jersey Bureau of Securities for over 35 years. He also served as chair of the ABA’s Section of Science and Technology and is on the Editorial Board of their quarterly journal, Jurimetrics. Hutcheon also previously served as Associate Editor and Editor-in-Chief of Jurimetrics.
Peter is listed in the Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and Securities Law sections of the current edition of The Best Lawyers In America. He also has been selected for inclusion on the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Business/ Corporate section every year since its inception in 2005 to 2016. Additionally, he has authored numerous articles on various business-related law topics, including limited liability companies, securities, and directors and officers liability.
- The Hague Securities Convention – IV. What effect does the Hague Securities Convention have on perfection by filing?
- The Hague Securities Convention – III. What is required to be a governing law?
- The Hague Securities Convention – II. What do these provisions accomplish?
- The Hague Securities Convention – I. Lending Against Securities in the U.S. After April 1, 2017
- Quoted, “Memorial steels 9/11 memories in Glouco,” The Inquirer (Philadelphia), September 9, 2013
- “The JOBS Act of 2012,” NM&M Securities Law Alert, June 2012
- “New Whistleblower Incentives and Protection in the Dodd-Frank Act,” NMM Labor & Employment Law Alert, October 2010
- “Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act Insurance Regulations,” NM&M Insurance Law Alert, August 2010
- “Accountants Serving As Securities Industry Professionals: Some Cautionary Notes ,” New Jersey Lawyer, the Magazine, December 2000
- “An Overview of Certain Definitions, Exemptions and Anti-Fraud Provisions of the Uniform Securities Law (1997): An Effort at Statutory Rationalization and Clarification ,” New Jersey Lawyer, the Magazine, December 2000
- “Regulation and the Investment Advisor,” Financial Planning Association of New York, November 9, 2011
- “LLC or Inc.? Entity Selection for a Small to Medium Sized Business,” National Business Institute, Princeton, New Jersey, October 25, 2010
Peter D. Hutcheon was selected to the 2012 Best Lawyers® Lawyer of The Year list. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
2005 Martin l. Lubaroff Award.