Thomas M. Caffrey, a Member of the firm, focuses his practice on civil rights defense, commercial litigation, defending employment related litigation, municipal litigation, zoning and land use, personal injury, criminal defense, and estate administration.
Tom has substantial experience defending municipalities and their employees against civil rights claims, including use of force, denial of medical care, search and seizure, and wrongful death. He has tried many cases and argued appeals in the federal and state courts in Eastern Pennsylvania.
A portion of Tom’s practice is also devoted to zoning and land use law. He currently serves as the Zoning Hearing Board Solicitor in Lehigh and Moore Townships and Hellertown Borough, and represents clients before zoning hearing boards and in the state trial and appellate courts.
Tom also handles labor and employment related matters. He serves as the Solicitor to the Allentown Civil Service Board and has served as Special Counsel to the Allentown Police Pension Fund Association and Allentown City Council. In addition, Tom has defended municipalities and employers against claims arising under employment-related statutes such as Title VII, ADA, and FMLA.
Tom also has a criminal defense practice. He is a former Assistant District Attorney for Lehigh County and now represents criminal defendants and juvenile offenders facing state criminal charges.
Tom also currently serves as an Assistant County Solicitor for Lehigh County.
Prior to joining the firm, Tom worked as a sole practitioner for 18 years representing a diverse set of clients in a wide variety of legal matters. Before working as a sole practitioner, he served as the Lehigh County Juvenile Master, adjudicating juvenile delinquency and dependency cases.
Outside of work, Tom is interested in academics. He is a former adjunct professor at Moravian College and has served as a guest lecturer.
- Christine v. Davis, 600 Fed.Appx. 47 (3d. Cir. 2015)
- Foye v. Prime Care Medical, 2015 WL 1650257 (E.D. Pa.)
- Galarza v. Szalczyk, 745 F.3d 634 (3d Cir. 2014)
- Hess v. County of Lehigh, 2009 WL 2461734 (E.D. Pa.)
- Hilbert v. Lehigh County Prison (Lehigh County 2010-C-4802)
- Jones v. Meisel, 2011-CV-6023 (E.D. Pa.)
- Lopresti v. County of Lehigh, 572 Fed.Appx. 133 (3d Cir. 2014)
- Smith v. Carver, 2008 WL 436911 (E.D. Pa. 2008)
- Arocho v. County of Lehigh, 922 A.2d 1010 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2007)
- Williams v. Silverman, 2013 WL 6578980 (E.D. 2013)
- Abruzzi of Coopersburg v. Ventresca DiDonato (Lehigh County 2005-C-2980)
- Davis v. County of Lehigh (Lehigh County 2007-C-3406)
- Bulles v. Hershman, 2009 WL 435337 (E.D. Pa.)
- Nelson v. City of Allentown, 1999 WL 782531 (E.D. Pa.)
- Stokes v. Williams, 08-CV-5799 (E.D. Pa.)
- RCN Telecom Services v. TOA, 612 F.Supp.2d 555 (E.D. Pa. 2008)
- Hafner v. Zoning Hearing Board of Allen Township, 974 A.2d 1204 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2009)
- Keeney v. Donatelli, 2007 WL 475818 (E.D. Pa.)